The Exile Files

Raging Against the Outrageous. Laughter and Insanity Abound.

The Tool Chest. Part 2

Posted by Exile on April 11, 2021

IMG_0627_InPixio

This is getting to be a saga…

I worked out how to fix the peg that holds the drawer shut. It wasn’t difficult once I’d had a good think and the solution is elegant enough. The front of the drawer was given a rebate to accomodate the peg and then screwed and glued to the lower front section from inside. Fashioning the peg was easy enough and with a polish with some besswax it dropped nicely into position. See my pictures on the right.. The peg drops through the floor of the upper tier and enters the hole in the drawer front.

The drawer got a quick rub all over with wax too, so that slides nicely back and forth in it’s housing in the bottom tier.

So, on to the lid… which quickly spun out of hand…

IMG_0628_InPixioProgress had slowed a bit due to my grandson who comes to stay every other weekend. He enjoys being in the shed with me, especially if I let him get involved with whatever it is I’m doing. He looked over this project with a critical eye and we dicussed how I should make the lid. I was determined to have a bread board joint on each side to hold the thing flat and I explained how that would work. He seemed impressed at my ambitious solution and suggested I let the lid fall into the box. No, I said, the lid has to close the chest and ride over all the edges. Well, he said, why not just screw a few batons under the lid all the way round instead of the complicated bread board thing?

The idea lamp went on. The lad doesn’t know how inspiring he can be. I’ve decided to let the lid construction become a box in itself, which will give me extra space to hold things like chisels, marking gauges, screwdrivers, pencils, and other long skinny stuff. It might give me a problem with the hings and other hardware but I’ll figure something out…
Quite how that will work out, I have no idea.

But it’s going to get done.. somehow!

IMG_0637For now, I’ve started on the lid. 4 boards with a 40mm wide insert to allow the thing to be broad enough to reach from front to back. Cut to length and glued up it didn’t need much truing up. I ripped a board lengthwise to create the strip which is placed centrally in the lid. Then I ripped another to make the bread board ends.  It actually looks good. I marked out for the tenons to be reduced to fit the ends and cut the grooves to fit. All I need to do now is final mortis and tenoning to get a good fit.
I think I’ll have that done by tomorrow evening. Never having attempted anything like this before, I’m taking it very slowly. We’ll see how it goes…

Progress so far, the carcass is done. The drawer is fitted. The locking mechanism is in place and works. And here is a final picture documenting the beginnings of the end joints.

I’m enjoying this….

2 Responses to “The Tool Chest. Part 2”

  1. James said

    “Out of the mouths of babes” and all that. You need to have that young man over more often.

    The option is to step away, find a nice soft block to sit on and load a good Virginia / Burley blend in the briar.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: